Old School Background

Monday, March 14, 2011

Happy 2nd Birthday Mary Evelyn!

Two years ago, in the wee hours of the morning, James and I made the crazy drive into town while I was in hard labor, wondering if we'd make to the hospital on time.  Little did we know the surprise in store for us.  We were expecting our fifth child and the last one had come in just about four hours so we knew the rush was on.  We were met in the emergency room parking lot by my sisters and eager staff who refused to let me walk up to labor and delivery, although I insisted I could.  We were whisked into a labor and delivery room and one nurse took my vitals while the other nurse checked my cervix and exclaimed she's at 10 centimeters.  A few minutes later she informed us that the baby wasn't coming head first.  The presenting part was an elbow.  They roused the on-call doctor (as it was about 3:30 a.m.) who came in an discovered that the baby was indeed sideways trying to come out elbow and shoulder first.  Without getting too much into anatomy let me just say that doesn't work.  So I went from we'll have this baby any minute to we need to do a c-section and quickly because if my water broke (which amazingly it hadn't) the baby's umbilical cord could be compressed underneath it.  The hospital had to call in a very grumpy anesthesiologist and I was wheeled down to the OR and surgery commenced at 4 a.m.  Because of the baby's position they had to make a much longer incision than usual.  Mary Evelyn French was born at 4:39 a.m.  She weighed 6 pounds 15 ounces and was 19 1/4 inches long and other than needing a little extra stimulation to get breathing was fine.  I wish I could say the same for myself.  Mary's birth took me much longer than any of the others to recover from.

Mary was born at a difficult time in our lives.  Naomi had just been diagnosed with celiac and was still struggling greatly to grow.  Two days after Mary and I were discharged we were at a speech and hearing evaluation with Naomi.  By the time Mary was two weeks old she had been to two medical appointments for herself and many more for Naomi.   Being the baby has it's advantages and Mary has never been at a loss for an audience.  From the moment she learned her grins and laughs delighted the other kids so much she has been our family entertainer and if being nice doesn't get everyone's attention, she'll get it being naughty. 

Mary is the most curious spunky little girl I have ever known.  We've thought about starting a service to ensure your home is childproofed.  It is quite a simple business plan.  We will drop Mary off at the clients home for half an hour, if there is anything remotely possible to get into Mary will be in it.  She's stacked stools on chairs, opened a childproof lock or two and has sonar abilities that can tell if a bathroom door has been left ajar anywhere in the house.  And given a minute or two she can make toothpaste into hair gel, flood the kitchen floor, eat half a box of hidden candy and draw three masterpieces on the wall and the newest appliance. 

Despite her constant "trouble,"  Mary is truly a delight to have around.  She freely gives kisses intermixed with headbutts and has a delight in the world around her that can only be seen through the eyes of a small child. 

Happy Birthday Mary Evelyn.  Mommy loves you!

2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful write up! LOVE the childproofing business plan! LOVE! Happy Birthday to your wonderful girl. HUGS all around <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary sounds like my dog...lol. Hope she had a wonderful birthday!!!

    ReplyDelete